Monday, June 6, 2011

Sam's Trailer and words of wisdom from an old man




Thunderbolts, behold: the next link in the skating evolutionary chain. I present to you Sam Milianta and his trailer for our up and coming video "Bolts of Thunder Gone Wild"!!!!!!!! Sam's been ripping it for years, and we're excited to say that he's been going all out for his part in the video. He came down to Provo this last weekend, and we were able to get some bangers for his part. A banger, for all you uninformed on the skaters' use of the word, is a really good trick. Nothing more, nothing less. The end of one's part is usually a suitable place for a banger. Enough bangin, back to Sam. Sam's awesome for any that might not know him. For all you that do know him, you can vouch for that statement. I'm really excited that this is Sam's first appearance in a video, let alone a part. Bolts of Thunder teammate Weston Colton will be sharing a part with Sam, and it's going to be pretty rad. This is pretty monumental now that I think about it; two men over 30 with full time jobs, families, pets, and other hobbies will have a full part in a skate video. I'm pretty amazed that we're as old as we are and still out there arguing with property owners and waxing curbs. I think it's awesome that we are, and I've even tried to be nice to property owners which has produced rather friendly results. I just remembered an incident I had with Chris Raymond in St. George about 10 years ago. I had just turned 17, Matt was 19, and Chris was the old dude we skated with: 21. We were surprised that Chris still skated for his age and that he was so amazingly good (as a side note, Chris Raymond had the best looking front blunts, kickflip noseslides, back tails, and nollie noseslide nollie heelflip outs I've ever seen in person. Yeah, that's right, nollie noseslide nollie heelfip out. Wrap your brain around that one.). So Chris asked us, "what age do you think is good to stop skating at?" and we all agreed that 23 was a ripe old age at which one can happily retire skateboarding. Then Chris asked me, "would you rather lose your kickflips or your hair?" without hesitation, I responded "hair". Word got to my body that I was threatening to do away with my hair follicles which was an obvious fabrication of the truth. My hair felt abandoned, mistreated, and forgotten, packed up its bags, and has been moving out ever since, all because of this conversation, I am sure. Thunderbolts, I am now 26, soon to be 27, and although my hair is forsaking me, my kickflips have not. I am happy to say that I've still got em, even if it means losing my hair. Sam Milianta is the perfect example that you can keep skating when you're older, even if it involves defying property owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment