Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hospital Security Guards story

This weekend I went with my brothers to Raging Waters up in Salt Lake, and we saw Brigham Mellor, one of our friends from high school. It's rare that you randomly run into someone from high school that you actually like, so it was good to see him for a minute. So when we saw him, it reminded me of an epic security guard chase we had in St. George at the hospital that Brigham was involved in. It was one of those great security vs skater pickles that we often found ourselves in whilst terrorizing the streets of St George. So we (me, Matt, and probably 6 other friends in St George) were skating this 9 stair at the hospital. It's like one of the only half decent 9 stairs that you can skate in St George, so it's worth the risk of getting chased by the cops to skate it. I had kickflipped an 8 stair the weekend earlier, so we went there because I wanted to kickflip a 9 stair now. All my friends didn't want to get busted, so they just hid their boards in the bushes while they watched me. I only got one try before this security guard in a golf cart came flying around the corner, yelling at us to get out of there. We all took off, but my friends were too startled to even grab their boards. So when we all regrouped afterwards, 6 of my friends had left their boards in the bushes, and the security guards would probably find them. And once found, the security guards would undoubtedly have their way with them... We couldn't let that happen, so we formulated a plan to sneak in and get them back. We thought it would be standard MO: just run in real quick, grab your boards, and run out. But when we ninjaed our way over, we saw the stairs surrounded by 4 different security guards; 2 on foot, 2 on cart... And not only that, it's like they knew we were coming back, and they were all looking for something, and they all had walkie talkies out. One of them saw us and started running after us, so we took off and hid behind a church, a universally recognized neutrality zone. So we had to completely scratch our first plan and come up with a new one. For middle schoolers, I feel we were quite clever and resourceful when dealing with these kinds of situations, and we came up with a pretty good plan. I would run out as bait to lure a couple security guards after me, little Indian Joey would run behind me to lure off the other ones, then Bobby and Rico would run up, grab the boards, and take off. Matt would just watch from the bushes. I think he even told us that that's what he was going to do. Every great adventure needs an official historian. Matt was ours. So we quickly rehearsed our plan then went after it. I started running in the street towards the 9 stairs when out of nowhere, a security in a cart came creeping around a corner right behind me. We'd been surrounded! I mean literally, 3, maybe 4 feet behind me. Apparently while we were making our game plan, the security guards had anticipated our next move and had created a plan of their own. An offensive plan. So I started running up this hill in front of the hospital, and the golf cart dude pursued closely behind. But the steepness of the hill and a lifelong addiction to fast food on the security guard's part prevented the golf cart from gaining any ground on me. He followed right behind me for a good 7 or 8 seconds, staying right on my heels, before I hooked a sharp right and took off through a little ally. Matt had strategically placed himself in the heart of some thick bushes, and he got a profile shot of the entire thing: me sprinting up a hill with a security guard in a golf cart pushing full throttle following 3 feet behind me. Matt was laughing pretty hard when I met back up with him. On the other end, Joey, Bobby, and Rico's plan had also been thwarted by the security guards. They had all been chased in separate directions, and one of the guards felt a personal vendetta to catch Bobby. So he chased after Bobby for like a straight minute around a block, and he thought he had cornered Bobby when Bobby decided to put display his amazing ability to jump off tall objects to the security guard. He hopped right over this fence with an 8 or 9 foot drop on the other side and took off. The security guard, out of breath and obviously not crazy, fit, or dedicated enough to jump over the fence after Bobby, yelled at Bobby as he ran, "Don't run kid, or I'll break your legs!" I imagine it looked kind of like on "The Fugitive" when Tommy Lee Jones traps Harrison Ford at the edge of that Dan, and Harrison Ford jumps off it.... "I didn't trespass on your property," said Bobby. "I don't care..." replied the security guard. So we all regrouped at our designated spot and told each other of how we got chased. Matt was able to witness most of it from his bird-eyes vies in the bushes. He was able to help us piece together how it went down because he saw several chasings at the same time. We didn't know what to do, and we could only imagine that they, themselves, we regrouping and calling in for backup. It was in this, our greatest moment of despair, that we saw a flickering spark of hope... Brigham Mellor. It turned out that our regrouping spot was right in front of Brigham's house, so when he was leaving the house, we all saw him. We got the great idea that maybe Brigham could just walk up, grab our boards, and bring them back. So we explained the situation to him, and he just said, "sure, I'll be right back." He pulled off in his blue truck and came back like 2 minutes later with all our boards in the bed of the truck. It was that easy. He was like, "yeah, there were some guys in golf carts looking around for you guys, but they didn't even notice me." Man, I'm happy I got chased when I was a kid. My racquetball teacher at school was reading the newspaper about this kid on BYU campus that tried running from cops for something stupid like writing on the sidewalks with chalk was charged with a felon for trying to evade a police officer. I guess that's extreme, but this kid obviously didn't have any kind of experience or plan. Anyway, I'm glad we got to have fun as kids, I'm glad that security guard was so fat that his cart couldn't go any faster to catch me, and I'm glad that we saw Brigham yesterday which reminded me of this whole thing. Thanks Brigham.

No comments:

Post a Comment