Friday, June 3, 2011

Quick story, no pictures

Last night I thought of a funny incident, and it was on my mind, so I'm going to write it now. I also want to draw your attention to another post that I just put up, just below this one, so don't forget to look over and study that one. So for reasons that I will not explain right now, last night I was reminded of this time I got in trouble for drawing violent pictures of people fighting with swords and axes and stuff. I was 8, and I had a friend that had Dungeons and Dragons cards with wizards and people fighting on them. I wanted in, but I didn't have the courage to ask my parents for money to buy these cards or a 12 sided dice, so I thought I'd make my own. So I drew pictures of people decapitating other people and what not, and I made a dice out of an eraser. I had almost finished my character, when my mom decided to take a peak into my backpack to see what little Jonny was bringing home from school. She obviously was horrified when she saw all these pictures of people being mutilated and stuff, so she called a family meeting together. When my parents called the meeting together, I had a suspicion that it might have to do with the contraband I had in my backpack (I usually left it at school so that nobody at home would see it, but it was our monthly classroom cleaning at school, and the janitor might find the pictures, turn me in, then my parents would find out. I thought I had a better chance of survival by carrying the pictures with me. I underestimated my mom, a common mistake I made as a child...). I looked in my backpack, saw that my pictures were gone, and immediately started thinking of a cover up story. I didn't want my family to know that I had associated with Dungeons and Dragons, if even for a minute. So we went into my parent's room, and my mom showed everyone pictures of disemboweled orcs and goblins. My brothers laughed really hard, my sister might have cried, my dad didn't know what to think of the situation, and my mom wanted answers. My mom's theory was that it was the violent rap music we were listening to (I was 8 and my brothers and I had Dr Dre's album "The Chronic" and Snoop Doggy Dog's album "Doggy Style". We were ahead of our time...) Not wanting to give up listening to rap or not be able to play with my friend at recess, I told my mom that I was upset because my cat had run away 4 years earlier, and that my most recent cat had died. This is what explained all the violent images I was seeing and drawing. Not believing a word of it, my mom threatened me with punitive action by making me wear dockers and a button up shirt to school, which I would have hated more than anything. So I told her the truth, and I was banned from associating with Dungeons and Dragons after that. I think of this as a defining moment in my life. I could have become one of the world's greatest nerds had I continued on this course of action. Instead, I changed my ways, picked up a skateboard, and I am what you see today. I'll let you be the judge of what that is. Thanks mom, I'm glad that I skateboard instead of playing Dungeons and Dragons and video games. I also want to draw your attention to the description of Bolts of Thunder under the blog header. This is what I put in the "About Me" section of the blog, and headquarters found it such a profound description of Bolts of Thunder that they wanted it put up on the top of the blog for all to see. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment