Monday, July 11, 2011

David Law's Interview

 This is exciting news: 2 new followers since I last reported. Drew Danburry and David Law, welcome! And I find it only fitting that today we have the David Law interview. Now some of you readers have been waiting long and hard for this interview to finally land, and now it's here. In this interview you're going to see a neverbeforeseen version of David Law, one that fights vagrants, plays Treasure Island with fellow Bolts of Thunder members, and has blood dripping out of his pants. Enjoy your reading. If you want to witness first hand his amazing skating, watch those videos he posted. Now that I'm writing, I just noticed something. Matt has had like 4 or so people choose him to be on the island. This seems strangely odd to me since Matt doesn't like camping, but I will not argue with the people, for they have spoken. But I will draw your attention to the last interview, Brian Barlow's. Yeah, I was chosen to be on the island! That's one for me. But I will not argue, Matt would be a better one to have around if you're going to violently encounter those cannibals... Thanks Sam for the picture (Sam Milianta took this picture).

(MrThunderBolt) So you've got a huge bag of tricks on your skateboard. How did you get down so many tricks, and what advice would you give to anyone trying to learn switch front foot impossibles and stuff like that?

(David Law) I have to preface by saying that flip tricks are my favorite part of skating, you can do it almost anywhere. I used to skate in my garage, in just one small side of a two car garage. No room to do anything, risks of hitting your face on the wall or garden tools and random sharp objects but that was how it started for me, dedicating lots of time. But now in my old age it's all I can do to keep up my old bag and here and there pick up a new one. I have landed ONE solid switch front foot impossible. So that one I'm still working on haha. I have an extremely close relationship with the asphalt/concrete. We're old buddies, I spend a lot of time down there. I fall more than anyone I know. I guess my advice would be to get comfortable down there and don't be afraid of it. It only hurts for a minute.

How long have you been skating, and what got you into skating?
I've been rolling on the ol' trickwood for around 11 years. I remember when I was hot stuff after riding for 2 years and could tre flip. My friend Zac Archuleta came to Springville to live with his dad for the summer and was skating, so I boardslid a parking block and slipped out and landed on my back on the block, I've been hooked ever since. I once tried to quit during high school cause I was bummed on the scene or something dumb like that, it lasted like three weeks and Chance Marrott gave me a hard time every day.

Who's part are you most excited for in "Bolts of Thunder Gone Wild"?
Pretty psyched for the whole video, but especially Hammers, I mean David McDonald. That dude is ballsier than anyone I know. Gnarly. And Weston and Sam's part. Sam is skating better than I've ever seen him and pushing the limit, it's rad. Weston goes faster than anyone. Gotta love that.

What's been your favorite part you've had in a video?
 
TTT Word is Born (http://vimeo.com/5847559). That was fun. So was TTT3 (http://vimeo.com/17629908). And there was "Touch It", that was maybe my best skating maybe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_3SmdkNSj4
So of those three I'd say that Word is Born is my favorite.



What trick/tricks have you been most proud of landing?
Probably a backside 360 down that six stair at the end of my part in Touch It. And a switch 360 flip I did at the underground ramp at the SLC library.

You seem like a really nice guy. But looks can be deceiving... Have you ever had to hit someone with your skateboard? Have you ever wanted to hit someone with your board?
One time at the DI downtown slc there was this bum hassling me and Sam. He had the scariest hands I've ever seen, hands that could crush a baseball, huge, gnarly, dirty, bum hands that wouldn't let go of my hand. He was telling me Viet Nam stories or something and then wanted to take my money. I just spent an hour on Sam's blog locating this photo. It's taken after I finally yanked my hand free from his vice grips. And that's my "I'm about to kill you if you move any closer to me face." So if you ever see my skateboard in that position and that smile on my face after you've pissed me off... watch out!


When's the last time you lost bowel control and had some kind of accident?
Back in probably 2003 I got racked on that red flat rail in s. provo that goes off the three stair, know what I'm talking about? Well I hit so hard that I thought I either popped my sack or shat myself. I couldn't tell which. After ten minutes of not daring to look I found just a little bit of blood and that's it. ha. so I used to pee the bed when I was little big deal. One time I was being hassled by the police on the side of the road and told the guy "I'm gonna pee over here cause it's coming out no matter what." No ticket.


Of all members of Bolts of Thunder, who would you be trapped on an island with? And remember, there are cannibals on this island that potentially want you dead and on a skillet, so choose wisely.
That's easy. Matt Hart. I heard that he choke slammed an Arab, just for being Arab. I want him on my side for sure. Cannibals have no chance.

What local skaters would you like to see get really big?
So many of them. How about a list of my favorite Utah County kids that I like to WATCH skate. Let's start with Errick Musgrave, Dyllan Call, Uri, Alec, Devon, Warren Miles, Jon Hart-throb. Weston Colton, T Braithwaite, Finn Christensen, Matt Davis, Braydon Banks, Sam Hodges, Damon Dixon, Nate and Jon Brun, Austin Burrows, the Brodie show, Matt Fisher, Chandler. And Steve Downs still has some UC in him. There's a million more. But these guys make me stop and stare.

Any thing else you'd like to say on the blog and to our readers? This is your opportunity to just let yourself go...
No, there is nothing left to say. Except maybe that motorbikes are pretty cool, almost as fun as skating, everyone should get one. I want a patch for my jacket that says Bolts of Thunder on it, that would be B.A. If you suffered through my ramblings this long then thanks for reading.

1 comment: