Tuesday, January 25, 2011

REPRESENT!!!




Photo: Weston Colton

To me, this picture sums up the first Bolts of Thunder video. Let me give you a little background. First off, I wanted to 50-50 the power box and gap out over the dirt at the bottom for no other reason other than our video was coming out soon and I wanted to have cool tricks in my part. Keep in mind that I was 25, almost 26, and my body doesn't heal as quickly as it did when I was 18; I am not sponsored, nobody cares if I grind 20 stair rails or slappy grind curbs for my part-nobody is going to pay me, buy my products, or worship me; I'm a full time university student, I have other prospects in life than skateboarding; and last but not least, I don't like slamming, so I shouldn't try things where I slam. So it's kind of funny to me that I put such high expectations on myself to do a crazy trick. I wanted to do it for a long time, and I had tried it before but broke my board. Then my friend Garrett came up from Vegas to film and skate for the weekend, so I got a hold of Weston Colton who wanted to take the picture. All this organizing ahead of time got me stressed out because now I actually had to do the trick. I went to the spot the night before and put cones and ply wood in the parking spot in front of the box so it'd be doable the next day. I hardly slept at all that night because I was so nervous about it. The next morning at like 9 I showed up with my brother Matt who's always encouraging when you're in a tight spot. We came with Garrett, and Weston showed up shortly to take pictures. Then dave showed up just to watch me slam. I was sweating so bad just from being nervous. My second try is the slam, so you can see the sweat swamp between my legs as proof of how nervous I was. Due to the fact that I'm a veteran at slamming, I was able to ninja my way through the air as to minimize casualties. I mean, look at the veins in my arms and muscles in my neck preparing my body for impact. Yeah, my body knows what it's doing. I elbowed myself in the stomach and couldn't eat without having stomach pain for a week, and my hips hurt pretty bad. but all in all, I walked out unscathed. Garrett is watching me and thinking to himself, "man, we're not going to get the trick. I drove all the way here for nothing..." Yeah, you were right Garrett, sorry... Weston was able to keep his cool and snap off this amazing shot. Thanks...
So this represents bolts of thunder because we all pushed ourselves to ride off of roofs, fly through the air, and wreck ourselves just because we wanted to have a sweet video. so next time you watch the video, just keep that in mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment