Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Epic missionary skate session



So I used to be a missionary for my church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That's the name of it. I was a missionary for 2 years, and I couldn't skate the entire time. I mostly couldn't skate because I was so busy preaching the good word that I didn't have time to skate. But also I went to the Caribbean and skateboards are not as common as one would hope in that region of the world. But one day, after over a year and a half of not standing on a skateboard, I discovered that right behind my apartment complex was a little skatepark with a halfpipe and flat bars, and these two kids were riding around there. I couldn't resist the temptation, and I asked the kids if I could ride one of their boards. They thought I was this crazy white FBI agent or something in my shirt and tie and all. And yeah, white people are far and few between on Guadeloupe, especially ones dressed up like me, so they thought I was crazy, creepy, and going to get hurt pretty bad when I asked to ride on their board. But they said I could and let me try it out. A frontside 5-0 in a halfpipe has never felt so good, I can tell you that much. It was funny how natural it felt riding on my board after not being on it for a while, but I felt just fine. The kids were amazed and confused because I actually knew how to skate a halfpipe. I even front boarded the little flat bar at the park in my dress shoes and everything. Then, to seal the deal, I did a kickflip to end my skate session. I couldn't resist. That tore up my leather dress shoes pretty bad, and the mark is still there to this day, but it was definitely worth it. I had to color in the mark with a black marker ever couple days so it wouldn't stand out too bad, but like I said, it was definitely worth it.

I thought of these pictures last night that my companion took because I saw a couple of my old missionary buddies yesterday. It's funny some of the stuff that I remember so well but then I can't even remember some of my companions' names. I guess that shows how much I enjoyed being around those ones. Anyway, I found these pictures that my companion took of me during my epic missionary skate session when I had a full head of hair and my skateboarding privileges were temporarily on hold. Good times...

1 comment: