Saturday, August 27, 2011

Garrett and Tyson turn to stone


I'd like to thank Brandon Miller, Bolts of Thunder's PI, for investigating NoPetrol and giving us all the lowdown on him. Brandon is skilled at clicking on people's pages and reading their info to find out more about them. Anyway, we all know now that NoPetrol is not a force to be reckoned with. He's not a force at all. Thanks Brandon. So today's post is about Garrett and Tyson's part. I've known both Garrett and Tyson for a long time. My first memory of Tyson goes back to a contest in a street with a bunch of boxes and flat bars in Hurricane, Utah, and Tyson was nosesliding the back of someone's truck. He was wearing glasses like the Muska, so I thought he was a gangstar Muska follower. I don't know if you can really pinpoint Tyson's style because he can fit into all. Anyway, I got to know him after that, and we've been homies ever since. I've known Garrett for about 9 years, and we've been tight since day 1. I made the Lip Trix video with Garrett and Tyson at their house, so we're all experienced in video making with each other. Therefore, it was an honor for me to warmly welcome them both into Bolts of Thunder and share another video with them.

To be honest, I haven't skated with Tyson in years. I wasn't around for any of his filming. Garrett filmed it all and sent it to me. Garrett was going to have a part after filming with him in Europe, so then Tyson sent me an email asking if he could have some guest tricks in the video. Forget that, we'll give you a part! So I talked to Garrett, and he said he'd send me all of Tyson's footage for the part. For Garrett, there's a lot of footage in his part that he filmed with other people in Vegas or wherever. But a good chunk of his footage, maybe even half, me or Matt filmed. Garrett is extremely good at roadtripping and visiting, so he comes up and skates here every couple months or so, and we film every time he comes. So his footage is from about 3 years of roadtripping and filming with him.

So Garrett came over to Europe with us which was a HUGE bonus to our trip. Garrett and Shereen (his wife) are among the coolest people I know, so it was rad having them with us. Garrett showed up on a Friday and immediately proceeded to attack the Paris tranny wherever we went. He got some solid footage in just a few sittings, and we knew a great part was on the way. He said he was down to have a part in the video, and he filmed for it while we were there in Europe.

It was Matt's idea for their song, which I think is a perfect fit to their part. It was getting down to the wire with editing the video, we had maybe 3 weeks left before the premier, and Matt told me he had an idea for their song. After hearing 2 seconds of it, it seemed like a really good fit, and we went to work on it. We edited the part in two or three days, and that was the end of it... Actually this time in the video process was the going insane part. School was bearing down on me, I had a wedding to plan for, and the premier was rearing its beautiful little head around the corner. We had so much to do, and I was tired already from the last couple months of working on the video 50 hours a week. By the time it came to edit their part, I think Matt and I were both on I don't care mode, and we had to try hard to not just quit on the whole thing. Considering all this, I think we did a pretty good job on focusing on their part and editing it properly. When I watch it now, it's a really fun part to watch that gets me pumped up to skate. Another thing, their song would get stuck in my head, but I always enjoyed it. There were other songs that would get stuck in my head, playing on repeat over and over, growing in annoyingness and amplitude with each round while I try to sleep. But there song would get in my head, and I was happy to sing it all day long. The violins, good singing, and fun tunes of ELO were always welcome in my head, and I enjoyed working on their part.

Tyson and Garrett are both coming up on 29 years old. They're rippers, they kill it, and they're only getting better. They've been Bolts of Thunder since before Bolts of Thunder even existed, and it was only natural to have them. They're great friends, cool people, and I wish we could skate with them more. Look out for Garrett's new video, "Oh la la," coming out soon. It's going to have super-amazing skating, good editing, and it'll blow your mind. Thanks for the footage guys, your part's rad, and it was way fun working on it! Oh yeah, and that's Shereen, Garrett's wife, bombing those stairs at the beginning. Shereen's rad, and I'm really glad she could get a cameo in the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment