Monday, August 29, 2011

David Law's part









This is the post you've all been waiting for. Today, you get the inside scoop on David Law's part. Where do I start?... First off, I've known David for about 8 years now. I don't remember the first time I met him, but I seem to always known who he was and that he was a ripper among rippers. I met him when I moved up to Provo for the first time 8 years ago, and I was amazed at how well he skated switch. Things haven't changed since then except David's only gotten better. I said it in the SLUG interview, and I'll say it again: he can do more tricks switch than most people can do regular. He doesn't even look like he's skating switch. David Law is a regular man trapped in a goofy man's body. Or maybe he's just been playing a trick on us for all these years; he's really regular but just says he's switch. That would actually make a lot of sense and clear up some confusion.

So while we were filming for our last video, we'd film and skate with David, but we didn't get enough to really make a part. We put his footage in the bonus friends section of the video which is on youtube. Some of those tricks are in his part, like the crooked grind on that stucco ledge, and the ollie impossible and bigspin over the flat gap. I think that's it... Everything else was filmed in the past 6 months which goes to show you how amazing he can skate. The first trick he filmed for the new video was that line he does at the Eagle Mountain skatepark with a 360 over the pyramid at the end. That was the first and, to my knowledge, only frontside 360 he's ever done on a pyramid. At least that's what he told me... Actually, he did quite a few tricks in this part that he's never done before in a video, like the switch 5-0 backside 180 out, halfcab heelflip (he can do them, he just never has in a line), and switch 50-50 a handrail against a wall. I'm glad that he went all out for this part and got some really solid, new tricks.

I think David's skating goes really well with the song: smooth and faster paced. We tried to edit it that way as well, and I think it worked pretty well. The song was Matt's idea. I was at his house, and he said, "I know what song to use for David Law. That one from Pulp Fiction and that old Tom Penny TSA add." I knew what he was talking about, and there was no debating or arguing that; it was a shoe in. So we filmed with David a couple times; we filmed his first line grind on that power box and line at the skatepark, then we started editing his part. When we were filming him, we'd have the song playing in our mind and think of where he needed tricks, and tried to film accordingly. Overall, I think it worked out pretty well, and we were able to fill the song with solid skating.

Seeing David wreck is kind of weird. Not that he never falls, but I guess I think of him as this wizard on his skateboard. He lands tricks way more consistently than me, so I guess I expect him to land everything. But he took a couple good wrecks while filming. I think the worst wreck was on the Day's Market rail. He was trying to switch 50-50 pop-into the bank, slipped off the bar and landed right on his stomach on the bar. He landed on the little knob thing that holds the rail in place and tore his shirt. Fortunately, I'd say that was the worst wreck he had, and everything else was just bruises and scrapes.

I'll end by saying that this is one of my favorite parts of the video. I know we're supposed to love all parts equally, but this one holds a special place in my heart... To be honest with you, it's an honor to have David Law on the team and have a full part of him in the video. He's a super nice guy, he's fun to skate with, he's fun to hang out with, and he's a good ambassador for Bolts of Thunder. I think the song and his smooth skating make for a really good combo that's fun to watch, and the tricks he does are pretty crazy. Watch his part again and pay attention to how much of it is switch, how good he looks skating switch, and how easy he makes it look. Pretty mind blowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment