Friday, February 11, 2011

Dave's part is rad








Me and Matt watched Bolts of Thunder today. That's right, we make skate videos, then we watch them to pump ourselves up to go out and skate. We were actually seeking inspiration for our up and coming video, and what better place to go than where it all began? So we watched all the parts, I was proud of the video, like a father's proud of his children, and then we watched the bonus features. We watched a couple of them, then Matt went to Dave's bonus section. Now for those of you who don't have your own DVD copy of the video, you're wondering what I'm talking about. We didn't put the bonus features on youtube. Maybe we will?... If you want me to, say something and I'll put them up. Until then, you get nothing. And I enjoy watching them, so you might too. Anyway, we watched Nick and Matt's bonus features, then Matt went to Dave's bonus section, which is almost 30 minutes long. It's pretty much a 30 minute documentary of all the pain and mental anguish Dave went through while filming for his part. He really went all out. I wasn't planning on watching all the section because I had to take a test at school. And Matt had to work, so he wasn't going to stay for the entire thing either. But once it started, I couldn't stop watching. That's right, I put my education on hold so that I could watch Dave skate. As I watched Dave's bonus features, you could say that I gained a greater appreciation for how hard Dave tried for his part. He really went all out. As he keeps slamming and falling and spraining joints and bruising stuff and breaking skateboards, I kept thinking, "why do we even put ourselves through all this?" We pretty much put big expectations on ourselves so that we can sit around and watch our own selves skate. Nobody cares if we do anything cool or not, but we do. And that's what made making this video so much fun, even with self-imposed stress. Anyway, in a very round about way, I just wanted to say that Dave's amazing on his skateboard, even if you little skate rats out there think he's an old man doing tricks from '95 (that's what some kid posted on the Transworld site). Yeah, we know we're not competing with major skate videos today, and that's just fine with us. But I can almost guarantee any of you skate punks out there that think you can do better: you won't be jumping down this stuff when you're 27, married, and studying and working full-time. So all you haters (I assume there are hundreds of haters reading this blog every day, just trying to scrape up some dirt on Bolts of Thunder. You ain't gonna do it, we're clean) out there,... I have nothing to say. But thanks for reading this post. No, wait, I do have something to say. In Nick Cave's voice from "Nocturama""BRING IT ON!" Now, watch Dave's part again and just think of yourself trying to do what he's doing when you're 27 and all that other stuff I mentioned.

2 comments:

  1. and he's like super good at arm wrestling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you wouldn't be able to tell it by looking at him, but he's got arms of solid steal...

    ReplyDelete