Monday, February 18, 2013

Havasupi: I'm sorry, Matt...






Ok, Havasupi. So we made the trip down just fine, it was a fun hike of about 13 miles, and we got a spot staked out. Did I mention that we didn't have permits to be down there? That meant we had to try and hide from the Indian police while there so that we wouldn't get thrown into Indian jail or anything. But we made it down and had a full day ahead of us to swim and play. Havasupi is the most amazing place I've ever been, no joke, and I love to swim there. I will go as soon as I can, so keep a look out Havasupi...

Things went rather smoothly until it came time to eat. I honestly don't even remember what I brought down with me, but I know it wasn't much. Me and Brian both boasted on being able to survive the elements with minimal preparation. Except, as I recall, Brian actually did bring food. But I just had a couple packages of oatmeal and roman noodles, and I seriously think that was it. So after a hearty lunch of roman noodles, I think Matt and Hannah were feeling generous and offered me some of their Sunbelt chocolate granola bars. I've never been one to turn down free food or chocolate, so the combination of both can be dangerous. Not to mention that over consumption of products tends to eat the lining of my stomach and produce some of the most potent methane gas you've ever smelt in your life. It can bring a grown man down in one whiff, I'm not joking here. So I've been staying away from it lately. Except in Italy, dark chocolate was my stable diet. I've lost 10 pounds since I've been home from Italy. I'm way off track...

Free granola bars from Matt and Hannah. They offered me one and made the mistake of telling me where the box was located in their package. I guess I could have gone looking for it had I become desperate, but I usually don't look for food, that's not my style. When I stumble upon it, that's when I go to town on it. So I helped myself to one of their delicious Sunbelt chocolate flavored granola bars and really liked it. It got me through the rest of the day, but sometime later that day or the next, I got hungry again... Well, in a package of 10 granola bars, who's going to notice if one more is missing? So I helped myself to another one of their granola bars... Man, I'm so ashamed of myself right now as I write this. I would just like to say that I have learned to control my appetite as I have gotten older. I used to be a thieving, conniving liar when it came to eating other people's food. I was willing to stab my best friend in the back in order to steal his chocolate milk from him.. Well I don't think that ever happened, but in first grade I would have seriously considered befriending someone over chocolate milk. That's how hungry I was... But I think that I've become a lot more honest in my dealings with my fellow men and culinary items. But I'm ashamed of eating all of Matt's granola bars. Because that's what happened. One turned into two which turned into three which turned into pretty much the entire box. They might have eaten one or two out of the box before I got my grubby little paws on them, but I ate the rest until there was only one left. It was at that moment, as I stared into an empty granola box in my brother's backpack, that I realized my friendship wasn't worth a dime and that I needed help. Real help. But that would have to wait until I got back home. I had too much swimming to attend to before I straightened things out... So I left that box with one granola bar left in Matt's backpack as sort of a note to Matt that I should no longer be trusted around his life line of food. It was his fault for telling me where the food was hidden... Man, I'm a lousy brother... Well, remember this empty box of granola bars because it will come into the story later on as we battled through broken bones, starvation, fatigue, and dehydration to make our way out of this place. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment