Saturday, February 12, 2011

Garrett and his NNs






So the other day I was skating my pink flat bar with Nick. Yes, my flat bar is pink. I did not color it that color, I don't necessarily like the color, but I have no intention of changing the color. It stays as it is. So I was trying to nollie noseblunt my rail and remembered that 7 years ago Garrett Taylor nollie noseblunted a handrail. Yeah, a 5 stair handrail. Don't believe me? Watch his part from the Lip Trix video "Gnarred for Life", it's his last trick.
"Nollie Noseblunt?" you
"Yeah, nollie noseblunt," me
"Serious?" you
"Yeah, serious," me
"For real?" you
"Dude... Yes, I'm serious, just watch his part and you'll see," me
"...nollie noseblunt?" you
This conversation is going nowhere, you obviously don't believe me. That's why you should watch the video. And that's Yoda at the beginning of Garrett's part, we hired him to do a cameo for our video. So when Garrett landed the nollie noseblunt, Garrett, Matt, and I were on a trip down in California. Months earlier Garrett had tried the nollie noseblunt (I'll just abbreviate it into NN from now on) for over an hour, but couldn't get it. Dusty Reese was chilling there, and I was pretending to know how to film it. I had no idea what I was doing... Garrett went back home to St. George in defeat, but almost a year later, he came back and was taking no prisoners this time. We went to the rail, skated it for a minute, then Garrett went right into the NN. I was filming with my brand new baby fisheye deathlens that had come in the mail about 20 minutes before we left (thanks Brian for buying that for me), and the lense didn't fit on my camera. We had searched every camera store for an adapter ring, but nobody had it. So I ended up just holding the lens up to the camera and tried not to shake. It worked. So I was sitting on the stairs filming, Garrett was going for his trick and getting into almost every try, then all of a sudden he just rode away. Just like that. Pop, slide, roll away. I couldn't believe it, and I don't think Garrett could either. It was so clean. He had never even landed the trick on anything I don't think, he just went for it right there. Right when he rolled away, the first thing that went through my mind was, "oh crap, did I even film that one?..." I prayed that I had, and it turned out that I did film it, and I even filmed it pretty good for having to hold the lens up to the camera. That was quite the victory, I was proud of him for that one. After that, Garrett tried to NN this 9 stair rail in the middle of a zoo in Bakersfield. Yeah, a zoo. As in he had to sneak in during off hours and skate a handrail in the middle of all these reptiles and stuff. That's just asking to go to prison. And I even went with him one time. But the zoo people were on to us and put knobs on the rail. Then someone saw a cop drive by, so we got out of there fast. I don't know what we were thinking.... Just as an end note, Garrett's working on a video right now that's supposed to come out pretty soon. I don't know what it's called or exactly when it comes out, but I will keep you posted. Garrett and Bolts of Thunder have formed an alliance to rule the skate industry as father and son against Yoda's wishes. Sorry Yoda...

No comments:

Post a Comment